Key Actions to Maintain a Healthy Gut This Summer
The summer months are moving our way which, for many people, is just another term for fun in the sun and much-needed vacation time. Ahead of breaking out your beach towels or embarking upon your much anticipated great adventure, don't lose sight of how important it is to maintain positive habits that amplify your digestive health. With temperatures rising and exhaustion on the incline, your gut health can take a serious beating during the summer. At Texas Digestive Disease Consultants, our gastrointestinal specialists have set our goal to bring you the care and education you need and deserve in order to keep a healthy digestive system. Reapply your sunscreen and turn the proverbial page as our DFW team sheds some (sun)light on the best practices to maintain your gut health all summer long.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
Summer can be brutal on your gut wellness, making a healthy gut have trouble and any existing gastrointestinal situations worse. A few of the primary factors that can lead to less than optimal digestive health and uncomfortable gastrointestinal symptoms, like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, include but are not limited to:
- Dehydration: Higher temperatures mean your body consumes fluids to remain cool at a faster rate, and you may not be keeping up with replacing lost fluids.
- Inconsistent habits regarding eating: If you’re traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove an effort to think ahead to plans for a nutritious meal.
- Exhaustion: Summer functions may leave you low on energy, which impacts your digestive health.
If you suffer from a pre-existing gastrointestinal condition, then watching your summer months carefully can be the difference between summer months of optimal fun and a summertime spent in pain. To find more about ways to stay in control of your specific gastrointestinal condition, get in touch with one of our skilled GI specialists in DFW.
How does one maintain gut health during the summertime?
With some thoughtful planning, you can be certain of a healthy digestive system throughout the summer months. Enjoy your vacations or relaxing pool days comfortable in the knowledge that you’re taking precautions to make certain your digestive system has a relaxing time. A few of the simplest practices you can use to ensure your summer health are:
- Drink water: Stay hydrated, specifically if you’re out in the sun and sweating profusely. Dehydration might cause constipation, along with other bothersome digestive problems.
- Eat foods rich in fiber: Add some dark green vegetables and get a few fabulous summer fruits in your diet to keep up your fiber consumption, which boosts digestion.
- Give probiotics a try: Your digestive system houses a distinct balance of beneficial bacteria. One of the ways you can assist your digestive wellness is by lending support to those helpful bacteria with probiotic-rich food and supplements.
- Plan healthy meals: All those summertime yummies like soda, ice cream, and barbeque may be great in moderation, but remember to plan for nutritious dinners to avoid forcing your gut into overdrive.
- Get a reasonable amount of exercise: Be on the lookout for extreme heat or humidity warnings, but a pleasant jog around your neighborhood during sunset is a relaxing way to keep your digestive system moving.
When should I consult with a doctor regarding digestive health?
If you experience any of the below-listed symptoms persistently during your summer bash, you should seek a Texas Digestive Disease Consultants specialist to help identify the source as soon as possible:
- Pain in your abdomen
- Chronic diarrhea
- Chronic heartburn
If you have symptoms such as blood in your stool, seek a gastroenterology physician in DFW right away.
Sustain a healthy summer digestive system
The summer months can push your gut to labor harder to make sure your body stays healthy and in gear. Give your gut the gift of good health throughout the summer, and make sure to maintain healthy habits that will make sure you don't have to waste a second of your summer feeling under the weather. Should you require advice or professional care to effectively manage a gastrointestinal problem over the summer, don't be nervous about calling our office to find a gastroenterologist in DFW. Our doctor-led network of GI doctors strives to provide patient-centric treatment to individuals exactly like you. Contact Texas Digestive Disease Consultants at your earliest convenience to hear more.