Gallbladder Disease in Texas
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder helps digestion as well as stores and releases bile. Gallbladder disease can describe a variety of issues and/or diseases in the gallbladder. Some of these conditions include:
- Gallstones- Gallstones are hard particles that form in the gallbladder and block the bile ducts.
- Cholecystitis- This is typically caused by gallstones and is identified as inflammation of the gallbladder. In time, the gallbladder may even shrink and lose the ability to release bile.
- Choledocholithiasis- If a gallstone is stuck in the exit of the gallbladder, the gallbladder may become inflamed.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease- This occurs when the gallbladder becomes inflamed when there are no gallstones present.
- Biliary dyskinesia- This occurs when the function of the gallbladder is lower than normal.
- Sclerosing cholangitis- This is classified as ongoing inflammation of the gallbladder and can create damage and scarring to the bile duct system.
If you have any of the above-listed conditions, it's important to seek out the help of a specialized GI doctor. At Texas Digestive Disease Consultants, our providers are skilled in helping individuals with gallbladder disease in Texas. For more information, request a consultation at your nearest location.
What causes gallbladder disease?
Many gallbladder issues stem from the formation of gallstones. These form when cholesterol, along with other substances in liver bile, clot. Additionally, you may have tumors preventing bile from draining properly, an infection in the gallbladder, or issues with your blood vessels. No matter the cause, expert help is available through the nation's largest physician-led network of gastroenterologists. To get help, contact Texas Digestive Disease Consultants today.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Some of the common symptoms of gallbladder disease are:
- Tender abdomen
- Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
- Abdominal pain, particularly in the upper right or center abdomen
If you are experiencing these symptoms, contact our providers at Texas Digestive Disease Consultants to learn more about gallbladder relief in Texas.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The most effective way to avoid gallstones is by maintaining a healthy weight and losing weight slowly and steadily if necessary. It's also important to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. Typically, we can diagnose gallbladder disease with an ultrasound. We might suggest a CT or MRI scan in certain cases. Standard treatments include:
- Fasting: this can give your gallbladder a rest and may decrease inflammation
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Pain relievers
Innovative gallbladder disease treatment
Gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia are all gallbladder diseases that can be diagnosed and treated by a GI specialist. If you have symptoms related to your GI tract, we urge you to contact a provider at Texas Digestive Disease Consultants. Our skilled providers can help diagnose, treat, and cure gallbladder diseases in Texas. Request a consultation at your nearest location.
Dr. Herdman is an excellent physician. I highly recommend Dr. Herdman for any GI issues. I thought I was lactose intolerance. After a detailed consultation Dr. Herdman recommeded a few extra test. Come to find out I had several gallstones and needed a gallbladder removal. Dr. Herdman has patience and is a concerned physician of your health. He understands questions and concerns. Later, when I turned 50 I went back to Dr. Herdman for my colonoscopy. Easy and smooth recovery! Thank you Dr. Herdman and staff!
Dr. Sana is very professional and friendly. He always answers my questions clearly and patiently.
Dr George is a very professional Gastroenterology physician, he noticed on my second visit that i had lost weight because of my ibs, and that i had lost 2and ahalf feet of my colon, also my gallbladder put me on wellcholl and i have been doing great ever since i highly recommended him.
Very professional, caring and thorough
Dr Nguyen has been great, sent me to surgeon to have gallbladder removed.